Hey friends! I know, its been awhile! So I bet you didnt know that I flaked out this year. Yes, I completed my Goodreads Goal, but lets not pretend I gave myself a high number. Lol! I also said I was going to be keeping a Reading Journal. Well, that lasted until March. EPIC FAIL! What about me doing more blogging? Haha Nope! All around, I pretty much failed my goals lol So, what do I do now, you ask? Aaahh well that’s easy! I pretend 2019 didn’t happen and move on to 2020!!
Rule #1 To Being Me: Massively Underestimate How Much Work Something Is And Sign Yourself Up Only To Fail! Lol Bullet Journaling requires commitment and a brain that actually remembers stuff. I THINK I recall people warning me of this. Did I listen? Of course not. I was in creative mode and I was EXCITED! Until March, apparently. Waahh waahh waaah.
So this year, Im going SMALL! You heard it first! I am going to keep my Goodreads Goal at 20 again this year. I am going to read whatever the heck I want with no pressure. If I feel like DNFing a book, walking away for a bit or not reading at all…Im doing it people! I am going to take the pressure off myself and just do whatever makes me happy in the moment.
I think being apart of this bookish community is one of the best things that ever happened to me. I also feel, however, that it puts a lot of pressure on us. People are churning through books and Im still on page 1. People are doing readathon after readathon and I cant complete 1. (Except my own cuz I make it so easy. Go OLL!!) People read all the latest books and post reviews and I feel so far behind. Or Buddy Reads where I feel like I hold people back because life gets in the way of my reading. Does this happen to you?
For 2020, I vow to take it easy. I am going to keep my reading light and fun like it should be. Sometimes you just wanna get lost in a video game instead of a book and thats ok.
If its Halloween, I dont HAVE to read spooky books to be apart of the readathons. I can read them whenever and I can read fantasy in October. It will be ok!
I am a mood reader. Sometimes that mood makes me wanna follow an awesome readathons theme. It motivates me! Sometimes, thats just added pressure I put on myself so that I can join the group. Then I suffer tremendous burnout.
But ya know what that does? It takes all the fun out of reading. Reading becomes an obligation or a chore. Its yet another thing this Mommy has to squeeze into her busy day and not something this Mommy escapes to anymore. “I must read this many pages!” “I have to finish this book by Wed so I can start this one!” Enough!
These are my 2020 Goals. If you read this and you wanna join me in my goals, please let me know! I need to hold myself accountable this year. I dont want to look back on 2020 and be disappointed. I want to look back, remember all that I enjoyed and be proud of myself!
2020 Reading Goals:
1. Read whatever I want, whenever I want. No matter the time of year, if it looks appealing, I pick it up!
2. Stick with my Reading Journal but keep it simple. I would like to look back and see what Ive accomplished. So I need to stick to this goal. Last year, I made it quite extensive and so I quit. This year, I will keep it easy. Wish me luck!
3. Avoid the Hype Train. I have been doing pretty good at this goal during 2019 and I want to keep it up. I need to really make smart choices before purchasing ANY new books. Just because I loved the last book, doesnt mean this one wont be a disappointment. Wait it out. Watch for solid reviews.
4. Quitting is ok. If a book just isnt doing it for me, put it down. Maybe I will come back to it. Maybe I wont. I just cant force myself to read anymore.
5. Participate in chats, reviews and Booktube/Blogs. I have lost touch this past year. As the months went on, it just got worse. I wanna know whats out there and I want to be more engaged with friends who bring me joy!
6. Lastly, buy books on sale. Again, I did VERY well this year. This is a goal I want to keep up. Only the most prized of books will be preordered or purchased soon after release date. Why? Cuz this girl is broke and I spend too much on books that end up disappointing me.
Well, I think that’s it! I want to take it light and easy in 2020. I want to enjoy reading and avoid slumps. Wish me luck!